Sunday, April 11, 2010

it's just a little crush

katebush

I've recently found myself, rather undeservedly, on a few lovely ladies "girl crush" lists and thought it might be fun to share with you some of my own crushes! I've created five categories of crushes: musical, theatrical, fictional, historical and 60s babes.

The first is my forever favourite songbird, Kate Bush. One of the greatest presents I ever received was a VHS of her live performances, various videos and interviews (oh those days before wondrous youtube) that included this glorious interview of lovely Kate explaining her new vegetarian diet and this one explaining her song and video Babooshka. She is absolute perfection; creative, intelligent, beautiful and kind, what more could you ask for?

Honorable mentions: Bjork, Beyonce, Nina Simone.

Emma_Thompson_2

Dearest Emma Thompson, was it Much Ado About Nothing or Sense and Sensibility that turned my heart so for you? I do know that it was this Golden Globe acceptance speech in which you speak as Jane Austen that secured my affection for you.

Honorable mentions: Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Emmanuelle Beart.

loves_of_a_blonde2

60s Babes! This was a hard one to narrow down to just one lovely lady! Precious Hana Brejchová (as Andula in Loves of a Blonde) stole my heart immediately and continues to delight after repeat viewings. Her face is such a treat.

Honorable mentions: Olivia Hussey, Jean Shrimpton, Anna Karina and this girl.

annewoods

This should come as no surprise to anybody that has read this blog. My love of this redheaded Heroine goes back to kindergarten when I implored fellow classmates to push me away to my watery demise as I lay on a set of wheeled milk-crates trying my best to recite Tennyson's poetry (no doubt just mumbling the recognizable words). I even had my teacher call me Anne and still treasure my report card addressed to "Anne McMillan". Anne is a character written with such affection that I dare you to not fall in love with this intelligent, imaginative, strong-willed girl.

Honorable mentions: Jane Eyre, Sorsha from Willow, Ivy from The Village (most recent crush).

453px-Elizabeth_I_of_England_-_coronation_portrait

(This list has suddenly become rather redhead-centric!) Elizabeth you fascinate me! You were strong when men would rather our kind be weak, you were eloquent and charming, shrewd and intelligent yet short tempered and indecisive. I would have liked very much to be a fly on your wall (and nothing more during those tumultuous times).

Honorable mentions: Anne Boleyn, Lizzie Siddal, Frida Kahlo (there are more but the benadryl I took to calm my allergies has just now kicked in).

Now your turn! Which lucky girl has captured your heart?

Edited to add one final category, Blog crushes!
Julia of A L'allure Garçonnière for always making me think.
Tara of Stay Fancy Free for always making me smile.
and Nicole of Fashion Forestry for always making me drool.

No comments:

Post a Comment